Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Information Overload...Some baby wipes are doing what?


I had to stop buying baby wipes...
and it was not because my kiddo's have outgrown them...

The world is seriously messed up!  I mean, I can't even buy baby wipes without a recall.  Good lord, they are baby wipes, people.  They are made to use on our little babies.  What the heck is going on in the baby wipe making factory that has put these baby wipes that we use on our precious little babies at risk?  

Our brand was the Sam's Club special, Simply Right.

Certain brands of baby wipes have been pulled from shelves at Walgreens, Sam's Club, and other stores. (WPVI)

I have been buying them, through all the package changes, for well over five years now.  I was shocked, to say the least.  And the media's twist by saying that "They Might be contaminated with Bacteria" does not help my "I am a MOM" panic, as I gather the nearly two packets that I had sitting around the house or left in the car up and tossed them, in a fit of rage, into the recycling bin. (they are paper...products, right!)

So, what gives? 

Apparently, the company that goes by 10 different brand names, Nutek Disposables, located in Pennsylvania had complaints coming in about the wipes having a strange odor or discoloration.  This lead to an investigation which revealed that the packaging contained a type of bacteria that is often antibiotic- resistant. (Awesome, right!)  So, they did some Microbial testing to find Burkholderia cepacia, a bacteria that I quote: "poses little risk to healthy people, but may cause infection in those with weakened immune systems or chronic lung diseases (like cystic fibrosis)"  which is supposed to make us all feel better, right. 

The reports do lack information, such as, how long has this been an issue; what stores were carrying this product in which states and how many children have been found sick by such bacteria?  

I understand that the company is trying to do right by setting the voluntary recall, and while I appreciate this, I still feel that they should have followed through with testing on the packaging material to ensure this bacteria was not even ever an issue!  

Now, I am questioning everything because, although we have backed off of the wipes in the past few months, we were prominent users last winter and my youngest ended up with breathing problems that escalated to the point where she had to have the nebulizer for regular breathing treatments.  I am concerned because this bacteria could be a cause. 

But, for now, this Momma is not buying ANY more wipes.  Which is funny  because my Husband and I used to joke that we were ALWAYS going to have wipes on hand, no matter how old our kids are.  I will pack up my damp paper towel in the baggie for my road trip clean up and I will also be sporting my anti-bac bottle swinging off my bag!  

Thanks Nutek for stepping up and pulling your brands off the shelves when you discovered the issue.  I will stand by your company for your quick actions, but I am still super disappointed that this was even an issue.  I mean, how many of us Moms will pull out the wipe after our kids use the bathroom?  How many of us grab the wipes to clean our kids up from playing outside in the mud? (OK, maybe it is JUST me)  I know my kids are tall enough to use the sink and have been diligent in hand washing with soap and water, but those first years, it is all about the wipes...

Hang in there Moms.  Find a brand that you can trust and hold on tight!



Affected Brands: 

Recalled brands include:  Cuties, Diapers.com, Femtex, Fred's, Kidgets, Member's Mark, Simply Right, Sunny Smiles, Tender Touch, and Well Beginnings.  The information they are giving is these wipes were distributed BEFORE October 21st, 2014 to Walgreen's, Sam's Club, Family Dollar, Fred's and Diapers.com, among other retailers.  Nutek has stopped distribution of any and all wipes at the facility. 

If you purchased a pack of recalled wipes, you may return them to the place of purchase for a FULL refund.  To contact Nutek, call 1-855-646-4351, Monday - Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. ET.
SOURCE: https://www.yahoo.com/health/recall-notice-your-baby-wipes-may-be-contaminated-with-101169582942.html


Options:  (from wellnessmama.com)

Ingredients:

  • 1 roll of heavy duty paper towels (Note: I use Bounty for wipes. I don’t use them in my kitchen, but cheap paper towels do not work for wipes… I’ve tried)
  • Rubbermaid #6 or #8 container- (Old wipes containers,  plastic shoe box containers, old plastic coffee containers or empty gallon plastic ice cream buckets also work. )
  • 1 3/4 cups boiled water (or distilled)-cooled but still warm – (can just use regular water if you use them in less than a week like we do)
  • 1 Tablespoon of pure aloe vera- check the ingredients
  • 1 Tablespoon of pure Witch Hazel Extract
  • 2 Tablespoons of Liquid Castille Soap (I use Dr. Bronner’s)
  • 10 drops Grapefruit Seed Extract or 2 capsules of Vitamin E (optional)
  • 1 Tablespoon of Olive or Almond Oil (optional)
  • Essential Oils of choice (optional- I use 6 drops each of orange and lavender)
Homemade paper towel baby wipes 300x225 Natural Homemade Baby Wipes
from wellnessmama.com
How to make: 
  1. Cut the roll of paper towels in half using a sharp knife
  2. If using a plastic shoe box or old wipe container, accordion fold the wipes into the container. If using a Rubbermaid #6 container (I highly recommend), place the wipes, cut side down in container.
  3. In bowl or quart size jar mix the water, aloe, witch hazel, castille soap, GSE/Vitamin E and oil and stir.
  4. Add essential oils if desired and stir.
  5. Pour over paper towels in container and let absorb- this takes about 5-10 minutes.
  6. Flip the container over to make sure wipes are well soaked.
  7. If using Rubbermaid container, pull the cardboard roll out from the inside This should also pull the innermost wipe out and start them for you. Depending on the brand of paper towels you use, you might have to experiment with the amount of water to get the right amount.
  8. Use as you would regular wipes, and smile, knowing you are not causing your beautiful child any future health problems!
  9. Note: If your child has extremely sensitive skin, you may need to leave out the essential oils or use calendula or chamomile.
Easy Homemade baby wipes recipe Natural Homemade Baby Wipes
From wellnessmama.com


That's all from this slightly betrayed Momma, who will be making her own wipes in the very, very near future, thanks to wellnessmama.com.


~Kel




No comments:

Featured Post

How To Make Your Blog Go Viral

Blogging, Lessons on working, Stay at Home Moms by: Kel Amstutz Last year, I posted a blog post that went viral . (much to MY surp...