Sunday, April 12, 2015

Challenge Accepted- Day #4

I think that it is without question that I have accepted this writing challenge.  

How about you? 

Have you started to take the word of the day and apply it to thoughts in your own mind?

Well, if you haven't, why not start today?  

It is simple, really.  They say, to be a writer, a good one at least, you should write everyday. 

I am obsessive with my blog. I do write everyday, probably whether people want to hear it or not, but this is Life at Gray Gables to me. I write. I make notes, I write words, I draw silly pictures when I am bored or nimble. 

I encourage you to give this a try. To take this one word, this word of the day, and challenge yourself to write something around it. Anything that comes to mind. It doesn't even have to be reoccurring. You can write something one day and something different the next. 


So...Challenge Accepted? 





Our WORD of the DAY is: 



The footsteps came down the stairs, until faces, lots of faces appeared before my eyes. It was a shock to my system. Faces that I thought I would only see in my dreams, again. 

Standing before me, my Grandma appears, my Great Aunt and Uncle, my Uncle, my Brother and his partner, who had made their way from Columbus.  They all looked tired, older, ragged and beaten down. They were out of breath and did not offer words, but horrid looks of what they had been through. 

My Mom leaped into action, getting them each something warm to drink. My Dad started blowing up the extra air mattresses we had picked up, just in case. I grabbed the extra blankets I had stowed at the entrance to our descend further down. We got everyone settled, without a word. It was as if I was not even there. It was as if they had not really been there. They were nothing short of zombies. I had questions floating through my mind, questions that I wanted so badly to ask, knowing that I couldn't until they had time to rest, to process. I know that whatever was going on outside of these walls was beyond my knowledge. It might not have even been for me to know. My family was inside of these walls, safe. 

It was not long before we managed to get the newcomers settled. Johnie was distant. I already knew what was going through his mind, without him having to say a word. There was one person missing from here. One person who I was sure would be coming at any minute. I knew that I could not tell him. He wouldn't believe me even if I had. As if these thoughts were summoning Johnie's Dad, he leaped up as we all heard him yelling from the dark. It was minutes before, he too, joined our family reunion.  My Mom worked at getting him something to warm him up and settle his hunger. My Dad had the last bed ready for rest. Before I could even count to ten, the guests were settled within our safe walls. Safe for tonight, but who knows how much longer, or whom these walls were safe from. 

*********

The girls played quietly as the sun was rising. The family who had just been brought in were still resting soundly as my Mom was urged to join.  Johnie and my Dad had gone above to see. None of us knew what to expect. Everyone who had just joined us were less than willing to talk about what was going on, and I was eager to find out. 

I kept myself busy by writing in my journal. I wanted to make sure that I was documenting as much as I could. I am writing why?  Why am I documenting?  I have no idea what to expect, what is happening or what will happen. I write my thoughts. I want to know. Trying the weather/news radio is an option. I am finding it hard to manage without my phone. It was dead, even with the charger plugged in to give it life. That was an eerry feeling, if I had ever felt one before.

A short time after my unsuccessful trial with the radio, our guests started to stir, rise and take to finding something to eat and some ease to the emptiness that was showing on their hallow faces. 

"Aunt Shy, will you talk?" I asked quietly. I was unsure if she would be willing, as she usually was to talk about anything, or if this was to fresh. If it was to horrid. 

"Let me get something in my system." was her rather curt rely. She was in a fowl mood, that was for sure. 

I backed away. Went to my girls. Went to their side, where my Kayla was playing her DS game system, which I will note, still worked, minus WI-Fi connections. This was not affecting her, or else she was hiding it well. That much I could be thankful for. 

Johnie and my Dad were still upstairs, staked out, I could imagine. I was not hearing any movement, nor had I heard the door open, which was a relief, since I had been listening for just that to happen. I wanted to go up. I wanted to see with my own eyes, past the triple pane window that was all I had. 

My Mom was talking to my brother. They were laughing and it was such a breathtaking sound to hear. I knew they were not talking about the trip here. I knew they were just talking about the breeze and it was a relief.  

"Kasey, you OK." Gary, Johnie's Dad said, as he was getting up.  If anyone was going to be real with me, it would be him. 

"Yea. I was just thinking about, maybe going upstairs."  I said, matter-of-factually. 

"I don't know why? I don't even like Johnie being up there right now." 

"Will you tell me? What is going on, what happened?" It seemed like such a simple question. A question that I should be asking, right?

"It ain't right. It ain't right."  was all he kept saying, over and over again. I knew that something bad was going on. 

I grabbed him an apple and tried to change the subject, the best that I could. I had not even realized that today was my youngest birthday. Kara didn't even seem to notice. Four is a big deal though and it was then that my heart saddened. What did this mean?  

I left Gary and went back to my journal. I knew that all the good that I could do for myself and everyone, was to write.  I should get an award for I wrote all damned day. I just could not stop. I wrote every question that came into my heard. I wrote every comment that was said by anyone within ear shot. I drew pictures of flowers and the clouds, things that I was not sure if I would ever see again. 

Fear was over taking my soul.  I wanted to tell my Kara girl that today she was four, that it was a celebration, only no one here was in any way, shape or form to celebrate. It was a beautiful moment in time that our baby was born and we had to be in a world that was full of the unknown. We were trapped within these walls. We were all we had. 

________________________________________________

Tomorrow brings more hope...or so we hope for a better tomorrow.  





~Kel

No comments:

Featured Post

How To Make Your Blog Go Viral

Blogging, Lessons on working, Stay at Home Moms by: Kel Amstutz Last year, I posted a blog post that went viral . (much to MY surp...