Wednesday, August 6, 2014

And then...something ahhhhmazing happened...

Is is no surprise that we are still living in construction!


We are well into the half way point of year 2 of this OLD HOUSE project.  I have half my siding up on the outside, half my drywall up on the inside and half of my tile floor down in my kitchen. (anyone else seeing a pattern here?)  It has been one heck of a ride!  We have had to beg and borrow, argue and fight- but in October, we walked through the front doors (I did say doors because there are 2!) into the bright yellow living room, with the massive fireplace and we got to say, This is HOME. 

So what if I have a lot of halves?  This place will come around.  There were so many little details to handle, so many decisions to make and so many things to find that would be perfect additions to OUR home.  


I have stayed up many nights thinking about my kitchen.  The room is huge and I have all my cabinets up (Kudos to my Hubby for working on this part - which has been a PAIN!) - so now we are talking other pieces in the kitchen. 


So, lets talk Island.  This is when something ahhhmazing happened- by the way!  I have been on a personal quest to *find  the perfect island and/or idea.  It has been striking out, until the other day, my Hubby, Mr. Craig's list, came a crossed an ad that was an island that spoke to him, hence it spoke to me.  The kicker, it was made from a door from the Spitzer building.  I know, I know, what the heck does that matter, right!  Well, just so happens, Mr. Aaron Chesbrough, a.k.a.  the man who built this old house right here, who owned a lumber yard in Michigan, worked at the Spitzer building in the early 1900's and was good friends with Mr. Spitzer himself. Coincidence?  I think NOT!





So, this island was on display at a local antique mall, we took a drive to check it out and let me just say, I was IN LOVE!  The piece is gorgeous. (that is probably an understatement)  So, we wrote down a number, made some phone calls and have come to the conclusion that while the original piece is AWESOME, we need bigger- much bigger! We are talking 10 feet- that is six stool people! (it will have a snack bar) 







Well, one thing lead to another and next thing I KNOW is that I am putting in a quote for 4 pieces total- WHAT?  I am talking a handmade Hoosier cabinet, a desk area for the kitchen, and a console table for when you walk through those 2 doors into the house. (OK, so the console table is more for Hubby- who just sets his crap on the corner of the couch and it DRIVES me MAD!)

Example of Console 

Example of Hoosier Cabinet - but going MUCH more FANCY! And Antique White.

Desk idea


I don't think I have EVER been so excited in my life. I mean, these pieces are incredible! All custom made by the Amish and the lady we are working with is friendly and knowledgeable and great to work with.  I am so excited to get my pieces and fit them into Gray Gables.  And to think, something ahhhmazing happened...from that one Craig's list ad!




Can't wait to get my pieces- more pics to come! :)

~Kel

No comments:

Featured Post

How To Make Your Blog Go Viral

Blogging, Lessons on working, Stay at Home Moms by: Kel Amstutz Last year, I posted a blog post that went viral . (much to MY surp...