Sunday, February 1, 2015

Channeling a Writer- Day 27

Writing Challenge WORD OF THE DAY:



They say that there are seven deadly sins in life. Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy and Pride.  They say that SIN is what separates us from God.  How does one person have more Sins than another? 

It was a new day, a new chapter. I felt so much lighter than I had yesterday. It always seemed that way when you expel something that you have hung onto for far to long.  

Our case was still wide open, that clock ticking as each new day past with nothing new on the table.  It seemed that Danny was an expert as hiding. This fact was something that did not surprise me. He did have an affair while still married to me and was obviously hiding the fact that he had murdered his pregnant wife, who just happened to be my baby sister. 

The results of the pregnancy test came back positive late last night.  The call came through, as I was laying on the couch in the comforts of my home, alone. Mac had left just after midnight, after I had laid the emotional bombshell on him.  I studied my notes for a few more hours before calling it a night, only to be woken by my phone shortly after I had finally drifted. I called Mac, waking him from his sleep. He was a cop, through and through. "Let's head to the station. I will be there to pick you up in a few." he had hung up before I could object. 

We headed in to find the results of a test that I already knew was positive, although I wished it were not. 

"Kat, sit." Stuart, the Lab tech said sternly.

"I am fine. She was, right." was all I could say. I was tied and snappy and tired of these Men always telling me what to do, and when to do it.

"Yes." he said in his serious tone. 

Stuart had been in the lab as long as I had been a detective. He was serious, all the time. It was all business with him and nothing else. 

"There is more.  She tested positive for heroin in the bloodstream. She was in her third trimester, approximately thirty weeks. It was a girl." 

Now, I sat. That was a lot of info and my brain was having an incredibly difficult time processing at this early hour with sleep on my mind. Mac was by my-side before I could even look up. 

"Anything else, Stuart." he said.

"No, that is all the information I have." Stuart said before he walked back through his glass door sanctuary.

"You OK?" Mac asked.

"Yes, I was somewhat prepared. I am just hurting for her. How does someone do this to a very pregnant woman?  I know in my heart, my soul that Daniel is behind this." 

"Daniel?" Mac said, his eyebrows raised. "You know that you have only referred to him as Danny, always." 

"I have severed all ties. He is just a person, a man, who I have no connection." 

Mac hugged me, kissing the top of my head. 

"He is not just a man.  He is a man with many Sins. Don't you forget that, or let down your guard. He wants your head on a platter, whether you want to acknowledge this or not. That goes for anyone else.  We need to build this case around him. It's time."

I knew it was. I had been putting my notes together with Daniel in mind, I was just trying to push through the emotional tie that I once had to this man. He had been my Husband. A person who I thought, in some stupid, childish way, that I would spend the rest of my life with.

"I know Mac, I have been trying. I need some help."  I said to him, reaching out my hand. 

He took it, pulling me to him before he looked into my eyes, piecing my soul and kissed me, deep and passionately. It felt right. For the first time in my life, I knew that I was where I was supposed to be.  It has taken damn near ten years to be right here.

*************************

Wow, thank goodness that finally happened. I mean, we have all been feeling there connection growing. Hopefully they do not get distracted, again, from the case. They need to catch this killer, this animal.

How are you all doing on this wonderful Sunday? 


We are BUSY in our house. My big girl turns SIX on Wednesday and Momma is baking up a storm! (a snow storm, literally!)

I am making cookies for her birthday party at school and since this is my first time with Royal Icing and I am really trying to make these cookies fancy..I am taking my time- step by step. I made my sugar cookie dough the other night and let it chill in the fridge since. This morning I did my cut outs and either tonight or tomorrow I will work on the icing. I want to do this right and not rush through it! (OK, I am a little excited!)




We are also in the midst of the SnowPocalypse!  It is snowing like crazy here in OHIO and we are expected to get 15" throughout the day. 



Let is snow, let it snow, let it snow.





I hope that you are all doing good with the challenge. We are already in the HOME STRETCH, I can hardly believe it!




~KEL

No comments:

Featured Post

How To Make Your Blog Go Viral

Blogging, Lessons on working, Stay at Home Moms by: Kel Amstutz Last year, I posted a blog post that went viral . (much to MY surp...