by: Kel Amstutz
We really can't go one day without checking our emails or social media, for that matter!
I posted a post a while back showing a little cabin in the middle of now-where with the meme, could you survive 30 days here with plenty of food, firewood, water, etc. but without technology, i.e. no T.V., cell service, social media outlets, Wi-Fi, etc.
Why is that?
Well, the basic answer to this question is simply because it is easier to research using the internet, I mean, does anyone remember card catalogs at the library?
Probably not because they are tucked into a dark, dusty corner, basically extinct!
We shop, browse, learn, read and even work online using our technology that is within our reach, right!
So, why does working online work for women like you and me?
Let's think about a traditional job, you commute, like, in traffic!
You are usually on a fixed work schedule and that includes a salary of sorts working for an employer.
This is the definition of a traditional job, within a brick and mortar building.
Well, working from home, online, means that you park the commute, because you typically have a home office, you don't necessarily have fixed hours and you usually control your income. You can set you income target and work accordingly. At the end of the day, you will be paid what you expect and deserve. The best part of working from home is that you gauge how your days goes. I find that my energy is different throughout the day and this comes in handy when working from home. I find my happy place when I get to sit down when I am most productive and focus on my work at home work when this is at the highest peak. It feels like I am not even working because I love what I do, from home!
Online jobs can also offer you control over the type of tasks that you want to work on.
Based on your mood or temperament, you can choose your field and work on those kinds of tasks.
This varies from Entrepreneur to Virtual Assistant to Freelance Designer.
Let's break down the Rules for working online or from Home:
2. Dress up already! Being in a nice shirt or blouse and slacks or jeans reinforces my self-image and boosts my confidence even when I am working from home.
3. Be online on time. I am ready for work everyday at 10:00 a.m. I even say that I am going to work, even if I am at home. This is a boundary that I have set and instill. Also, if you have children, hire child care, if you need it! I am lucky this year because my kids are both in school but last year, I had my parents take my kiddo during work hours, while my other one attended school. Again, this is a boundary!
4. Always go home at the end of the day. When you are at work, be at work. But, when you go home or break for lunch even, really be home. Learn to separate the two, even though both are at home. I put up my computer for the night when I sign off and do homework with my kids, play, make dinner, relax and most recently, divulge in Harry Potter movies on Friday evenings with my snuggle bugs. This is a huge boundary that has taken me some time to master!
You need to define your own boundary list, but remember your why?
Mine is because it allows me to be flexible, focus on my family and continue my creative processes while earning an income!
- 3 Reasons Why You Really Need to Productize Your Knowledge
- How to Make Your BLOG Go Viral
- What is Content Marketing and Why Does It Pay?
- The Speaker's Guide to Productizing Your Expertise
- 99 Companies Offering Part-Time Work at Home Jobs
- List of 21+ Companies That Hire Frequently For Work at Home
- Top Companies that Offer Legitimate Data Entry Jobs
- Best 10 Work at Home Jobs for Teens (18 and under)
I strongly recommend my eBook, The Social Media Manager Kit by Kel (w/ bonus) in order to get you started. It will include templates for emailing potential clients or those you landed a completed job with, it will allow you to focus and challenge you to keep moving forward.
This life, working at home, being financial free and with my family, is something that I used to dream about.
- I am living it.
- I am loving it.
- I am making it my life!
Need More Help?
I just LOVE my planner from Practical Paper Company. They also make notebooks. Head to class this semester in style with one of these gorgeous notebooks!
and let me be your Pink Zebra Lady!