Saturday, August 2, 2014

The Aquapocalypse is HERE!


I was awoken this morning at 5:30 a.m. - and YES I was sound asleep!  My Hubby was in a panic because he had just taken a shower (the downfall of working second shift) - and while reading Facebook - there was a big alert to NOT DRINK the water OR SHOWER!  We had a big infestation- if I may, with our drinking water. 

The post said to watch for rash.  I was asleep, clearly, so I was not totally "with" it.  I went back to sleep.

I woke up this morning and the epedemic was ALL over social media.  So, Toledo residents were suppose to refrain from contact with water.  I felt like this was IT.  The Apocolypse!    So I kept reading and found that where Hubby and I live, is OK! (yes, relief washed over me and a little Na Na Na Na Boo Boo to Hubby because THIS is why we LIVE HERE!)

So, I walked into my bathroom, started me OK water and brushed my teeth- without looking back! 

****
It wasn't until this afternoon that the fear started to rise in everyone and everything got out of control! (big time)

The good news came that it was OK for Adults to shower- but warned to keep the water cool, since this is an Algea issue and it grows/multiplies with HEAT.  Freaky!
 

 
Then came the pictures of the greedy people of Toledo, packing their carts full of water leaving shelfs bare everywhere in the area! 

The officials stood behind the city and good people were bringing in water in to help people in need.  THey even set up filling stations to help people who needed water.  It just saddens me that people would grab all they could and leave others to "fend" for themselves!


Sam's Club lines in Holland, Ohio
Sam's Club in Holland with CARTS FULL!
  

Bare Shelves... sad times
As for these stores, I kind of feel sad.  I feel like there should be a LIMIT to how many cases you could get- seriously these carts have anywhere from 12-15 cases! People have lost their minds.




The news has been covering the situation all day- and yes, I have been tuning in- here and there, to see any updates.  This is kind of weird and I had my moment of panic tonight while letting my kids get into their bath.  I fear for them and even though they are saying my water is fine, there stil is an underlying fear that goes there with letting them step into this contaminated water. I AM A MOM!

I thnk that with the tests that have been running on our West Nile Mosquitos and then this, it really could be an apocolypse!  Resturants have closed, due to this! The city of TOledo is literally in an uproar right now because of this situation.

Then it comes to the BIG question...WHY is this happening?  Well, from what the news has eduacated me with, we have blooms of algea, which we have every year, in Lake Erie.  We all know this- I mean this is like the 10th year that Maumee Bay has been closed due to these "blooms" - and somehow it has made it way into Toledo's drinking water.  Now, I guess the conditions that we are all experiencing is to blame, since the warm- but not hot- weather is causing the algea, which normaly lies on the bottom of the lake to lift to the surface. Now, let me tell you that this Algea on the surface is NASTY!  It is swamp thing type stuff!



Mayor Collins briefing the City of Toledo on the water "situation"
Map of City of Toledo and areas of contamination.  (Oregon is YELLOW)



On a side note, my areas Intake for Oregon is in a different location and we are not affected.  The news has been very good at reminding ME of this! 
SYMPTOMS of Algae Contact...
 

This is what people are resulting to...RAIN WATER!
If you LIVE in Toledo, better grab some of these and HEAD to OREGON to fill 'er up..    




So, it is nearing ten o'clock at night and Toledoans still have NO idea what is going to happen with their drinking water.  The worst part is that the newest release is stating that hot water tanks can be affected by their algae. 
Here's hoping we all survive.  Will Toledo have water within a week? Will it be sooner? Or longer?  The worst part is that nobody knows yet.  The tests have been sent off but still in limbo.  Is this just the beginning? 
#Aquapocalypse
I'm laid back, sipping on clean Oregon Water..with my Mind on Algae and Algae on my mind....
~Kel~

No comments:

Featured Post

How To Make Your Blog Go Viral

Blogging, Lessons on working, Stay at Home Moms by: Kel Amstutz Last year, I posted a blog post that went viral . (much to MY surp...