Friday, April 10, 2015

Are you ready to WRITE? ~Day -2-

It's Day #2

Are you ready?

This challenge is for those who love to write and may be a little stuck.  We are given a Word-of-the-day to help center our writing. 
Give it a try!  I promise you, inspiration will flow through your fingers before you realize it!




Day #2 Word of the Day:

 

PAPERCUT

I knew that I had to sleep at some point.  I tried to keep my girls busy.  It had been hours.  We had a make shift dinner. Johnie ran to the upstairs fridge, safely, to grab some hot dogs from the deli drawer.  My reasoning is, yes, we have a fully stocked fridge in the basement, as our backup.  We also have two underground. But, if we can reach the kitchen, depleate our regular stock, first. 

It had been a long day. Kayla and Kara had their best faces forward, which made me proud. The sky was growing dark, clouds thick and black rolling in from the west. The storms started shortly after midnight, well after I had managed to get the girls to shut their restless, bloodshot eyes. We had an air matress set up for them in the corner, safe from any windows, doors, or anything that could possibly be breached by anything from the outside world that was now a threat. 

"Kas, you holding up OK?" my husband spoke to me for the first time since the ordeal had begun. He sat next to me, held my hand.  Worry showed in his clear blue eyes. 

"Yea. I am trying to keep this as normal as possible for our babies." I said.

"You're doing a great job, baby. I am so proud of you." he said, not taking his eyes off of my own.  He remained silent, rubbing his finger along my hand that was still being held by his own. "I'm scared." 

I knew he was. I was too. This was more than I could have imaged. We had talked about something happening, requiring our family to hide out.  Just not this. The outside world was damaged.  The people outside of those walls were infected, possessed or no longer human. Their eyes held a blank stare. Their minds unclear and not of their own thoughts. It left me sitting in the silence thinking...wondering what the hell happened. How were these people like this and where were they coming from?  Why were they trying to get in? What were they seeking from indoors?  

"Tomorrow we will try to go outside, make it to the barn." Johnie's tone was still.  He was trying to hold his emotions back. 

I looked over to where my Mom and Dad were. They were sleeping soundly acrossed the basement on another blow up matress. We were doing shifts. Listening for anything that made it's way into the hosue so that we could head further down. 

"Johnie, sleep, please." I pleaded with him. 
"No. I am not tired yet. You need to rest. These girls need you." 

Life was already changing as we knew it. There was a distance that I could feel. It was not obvious, but it was there. It was like a papercut, not very deep but just on the surface and painful. I was feeling so alone. This was happening to all of us and I was feeling alone in a world that was no longer the one I had known. I wondered if he was feeling that same way?  I kissed him goodnight and crawled into the warmth and comfort of the covers next to my two sweet girls. I made sure that I was holding them both, as I knew that I could not, would not ever let go. 

 
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I realize that this is stil Day 1, entering into Day 2 in a new world, but could you imagine being left to fend for yourself in a world that when you went to bed last night was normal, when you woke up that very morning, the world was normal and in a blink of an eye it could be so different.

Keep Writing!  You got this!

I would love to read your words- leave a comment!

~Kel 
   

No comments:

Featured Post

How To Make Your Blog Go Viral

Blogging, Lessons on working, Stay at Home Moms by: Kel Amstutz Last year, I posted a blog post that went viral . (much to MY surp...