Monday, December 8, 2014

My, how times have changed.

grow up
phrasal verb of grow
  1. 1.
    advance to maturity; spend one's childhood and adolescence.
    "I grew up in a small town in Michigan"



There comes a time in your life when you have to Grow Up.  Now, we all know that this has to happen, but how many of us really want to?  

Then...once you have done the grow up part...there comes the realization that life used to be so good for you...what happened? 



I am having that moment...right now!  I get these emails-  I am inundated with them due to the holidays, and I get the bke email: "Tis the season- 60% off.  Wow, I opened only to be reminded of days past...and the sadness that is associated with mourning that time of my life.  

I look at the clothes, the cute handbags and the jeans...all over the $100 dollar mark and think to myself.."Sure, that shirt is so cute but...really...$102 dollars cute?  Uh no.... I could buy 4 shirts for that amount."  ....EEK!  Did I really just think that?  


What happened to the days that I would spend $100 on a pair of jeans without even blinking? Or that Coach purse (which was the popular brand around when I WOKE UP) for over $100?  It was no big deal. And those days were not that far in the past either. 

What happened...well, let me tell you..my priorities shifted and I was no longer on the top of the list. SCARY! I used to have name brand this...name brand that... I would fork over big money and to be honest, it was not always quality either...(name brand)  My Silver jeans were easily in the hundreds and have since been replaced by Seven7 jeans from Groupon that I have managed to buy for $10 a pair. Bargain hunter anonymous is what is needed for this old gal!

This is a far cry from that girl who would not bat an eyelash..right!  Now, I am so super conscious of how I spend and making my dollar stretch that I feel like a plain, old, cheapskate!

Now, my children...on the other hand wear Oshkosh (yes, I do frequent the outlet, which is about an hour away for beginning of the school year shopping) and Levi brand jeans, which are $35 a pair; gap clothes and once upon a time they were deck out in Gymboree. Shoes are always where Hubby and I seem to splurge on both ourselves and our kids. But...that is where the buck stops! It is crazy to think that life has changed SO drastically in just a matter of about 5 years or so. 


Yuck!  


I want my name brand jeans that cost as much as a great set of calphalon pots and pans...I want that handbag that costs as much as a new light bar for over my island...  See..there it is, those priorities that have caused a major shift in our household..not to mention those kids we have!  I don't think I have ever bought so many pairs of PJs until recently..when my oldest outgrew all hers and then we have this twinning thing going on where our girls want to dress alike...all the time...EEK!  Mama don't have it like that ladies! (L.O. is on hand me downs still...thank goodness!)


What are some things that you DO splurge on? 

 What are things you hold back on buying? 

What are some things you used to pay top dollar/had to have money for?  

What caused the shift?  

How do you justify your purchases? 


I splurge on stuff for our house... I think that biggest thing lately is Christmas stuff.  I just feel like I have a vision of what I want stuff to look like and it still hasn't taken shape. I have been holding off on buying stuff thought until we get better sales. (holding back!)

I justify my purchases with the old questions:  Do I NEED it -or-  Do I just WANT it?  Is it worth it? Can I find a better PRICE?


Being a grown up is hard work and man...the sacrifices just don't stop!



Please share! 
~Kel




No comments:

Featured Post

How To Make Your Blog Go Viral

Blogging, Lessons on working, Stay at Home Moms by: Kel Amstutz Last year, I posted a blog post that went viral . (much to MY surp...