Monday, February 2, 2015

Let's Write- Day 28

Well, it is the second day of February.  


Punxsutawney Phil decided TODAY that there will be 

six more weeks of winter


Well, not exactly what we were planning on hearing..right!  I always say that it is an oxymoron anyways because what is the difference between 6 more weeks of winter or 6 more weeks till spring? RIGHT!




Hubby's car buried!
SnowPlow taken hostage!



Anyways, it is COLD, WINDY, and SNOW DRIFTS line our driveway, making schools closed, businesses closed and in our case, our cars stuck in the driveway!  Hubby went out and snowplowed last night around 4P and again after 11P and yet, this morning, the snow blower looks like this:









How are we all doing with the Writing Challenge

We are coming to the end.  I will be sad to stop this write on command style because I think that it has really taught me to think outside of the box and on the fly, so to speak, with what word is next and how I might incorporate within the story


Let's get to it!




----------------------------

Writing Challenge word of the day:


WINDOW

I stepped back as I realized the ramifications of what had just happened. It had to happen, it had been building up, that much I now knew. It was meant to happen, but not here, not like this.  I grabbed his arm, showing him it was OK, I was OK.  He smiled at me, melting a part of me as he walked over to grab some files off of his desk in the other room. I looked around to see if we had been spotted, found out- but to my surprise, the office was rather dead and those who were present were preoccupied by duties and their own workload. Before I moved, I took one more pass to see if anyone acted as if they knew, without anything suspicious jumping out at me. 

"Captain." I said as I left the confines of the hall in which we had been when it happened. 

"Kat." he said in his jolly way, a smile beaming a crossed his reddened face. "Are we feeling better?"
"Yes Sir." I replied in my matter-of-fact tone that I usually had while in the office. "Feeling better and determined."

He looked at me, his smile fading. "Kat, you know that we are over a month out on this case. You know what the chances are of catching the person who did this.  It is getting grim, I don't want to say that, but it is my duty to be honest with you."

"Yes, Captain. I understand that fact, but there are avenues that have not been investigated yet. There are things that have been missed and information that was overlooked." 

"What are you eluding to? Someone on our department is not doing their job?"

"Right. Me. I have been so emotional, so overwhelmed that I have been skipping steps and missing the attention to detail part of my position."

"Kat, this hit close to home. I am objective to even having you work this case, be involved any more than a family member and this is the reason."

"I understand. I honestly do.  I see it from that point but recently things have been odd, strange and I am kind of disappointed that others did not see the clues."

"Like what?"

"Like, who shot me?  Why is the person's who had grown up in that house, who has direct ties to both myself and my sister, is not a suspect at this point and time."

"Whom are we discussing?" 

"Daniel Greer, for instance." 

"Kat, we have no reason to bring him in.  He was not with his wife at the time of her demise.  His alibi checked out, witnesses of three correlated his same story. Background check does not show anything to throw a red flag.  He is clean."

"How far did you dig?"

He looked at me, starring for a long moment. "Why do I have the feeling that there is more than what we can see?"

As if he were looking at a window, I reached for the arms of the chair to my right. I felt faint. I needed to sit as I relieved a story that I had just told to Mac, I had to account for my personal actions in a life that was far in the past. 

"How far back did you check?"

"We went back five years." 

"Did you come to the records of our marriage? Our divorce decree?"

"Marriage?  Kat, you were married to your Sister's husband?"

"My sister was married to my ex-husband, Sir. I had not known, and surly would have stopped her for reasons that would not be on any log." 

I had his attention now. 

"I had married Danny straight out of high school.  We had been young, to young for married life."  I had to retell my previous life, to be subject to the scrutinizing from my Superior. I sat back, letting him process the information, the details, as I had told them, as I remembered them. 

"Kat." he finally said.  "I am worried about disclosing this information, for obvious reasons! First, the media will have a field day with this. You and I both know this. They will flip this into a lover's quarrel or perhaps a jealous sister's rage."

I stopped in my tracks. I had not thought of this. I had not even processed the repercussions of disclosing this. "I didn't" is all I could say.

"I know. You want to paint a picture of his character, and I get that, but we will have to go about it in another way."

"Where was he when I was shot?"

This was the struggle. I was not dead, so it seemed that that fact was making the department suffer when it came to determining if a person was to be brought in for questioning, or if their deflated alibi was enough.  Once thing was for sure, a sorry story about being at the house where his late wife had tragically died, at the same time that I was shot and bleeding was not good enough, especially since there had been no witnesses to back up his story. I knew what I had to do. Find Mac.

______________________




No comments:

Featured Post

How To Make Your Blog Go Viral

Blogging, Lessons on working, Stay at Home Moms by: Kel Amstutz Last year, I posted a blog post that went viral . (much to MY surp...