Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Book Review Tuesday... Complete Me by J. Kenner (much awaited)

 Complete Me 

by J. Kenner

A Book Review by Kel - for the final trilogy of the Stark Trilogy Books.

Complete Me. jpg
Book Cover from Randomhouse.com  


Title: Complete Me (Stark Trilogy #3)
By: J. Kenner
Genre: Romance, Billionaire, Steamy, BDSM, Adult Fiction.
Published: July 30, 2013

SYNOPSIS: This sexy, emotionally charged romance continues the story of Damien Stark, the powerful multimillionaire who’s never had to take “no” for an answer, and Nikki Fairchild, the Southern belle who only says “yes” on her own terms.
Our desire runs deep. But our secrets cut close.
Beautiful, strong, and commanding, Damien Stark fills a void in me that no other man can touch. His fierce cravings push me beyond the brink of bliss—and unleash a wild passion that utterly consumes us both.
 Yet beneath his need for dominance, he carries the wounds of a painful past. Haunted by a legacy of dark secrets and broken trust, he seeks release in our shared ecstasy, the  heat between us burning stronger each day.
 Our attraction is undeniable, our obsession inevitable. Yet not even Damien can run from his ghosts, or shield us from the dangers yet to come.
{adapted from  Barnes & Nobles website under description of book}

*************************************
description
Google images
After much waiting, I finally finished the book.  I am not going to lie, I put it down and conveniently did not seem to work time to read the rest, dreading the last page. I hate finishing a book because then I am left disappointed and dying to know what happens..next.  This book is no different. I loved the series, although it did take me a little bit to get "into" it all.  I had my fill of the other erotic novels and was afraid that this was just another one of "those" books! But, after I started turning the pages, I just couldn't stop, not until it stopped me, of course. Now I am left wondering what happens next, hoping that J. Kenner left it as she did for a possible add on book?  Hey a girl can dream, right!

OK, enough of me yapping, I am sure you all are waiting to hear about the book, right!

Complete Me is the final installment of the Stark Trilogy.  Both the characters, Nikki and Damien, are very strong characters throughout the series.  Most of these series offer up a rich, handsome but damaged man.  This one proves to be different. All three books have "hooked" me as a reader and all have left me wanting more. 
This book starts where book two leaves off.  Damien and Nikki are in German and Damien is awaiting the trial for murder.  Nikki is scared and battling with her feelings and emotions throughout this turmoil.  She knows that she can't lose Damien.  Damien keeps up his iron mask but deep down he is torn apart by the proceedings.  Nikki being by his side seems to stable him somewhat.  There is an out for Damien, to make the murder mess disappear, but it also bring out the demon that he is trying to keep hidden. He tells Nikki and seems somewhat surprised by her willingness to stick by him no matter what.  He seemed to be looking for a different outcome.  


 photo 3aec9945-75fa-4e8e-a168-335812b7222f_zps5b167b86.jpg
Google Image
This book shows Nikki and Damien doing everything together.  They are building a bond with each other that is apparent and deeper than the surface. There is strength within both of them.
‘You’re what gives me strength. If I am what centers you, Nikki, then you are what anchors me.’

The story line is full of surprises, each page promising a different twist or turn.  It is very difficult to put down (unless I was getting close to the end and afraid for it all to be over, that is!) 
As for the Author's portrayal of the characters, I think that J. Kenner is a genius. She created two damaged, flawed characters and put them together to both become stronger from their demons. At the beginning, Nikki was so fragile. She remains fragile in so many aspects through the story but seems to draw her strength from Damien.  There are many sacrifices that each character seems to be making throughout all three books. 
The irony is that Damien is a tortured soul on the inside but so utterly beautiful on the outside.   

“I want to hold you close. To cherish and protect you. To draw you in until we are so close that I am lost within you. I want to take you to bed, to watch the way your skin tightens beneath my fingers, the way your body awakens under my touch. I want to trail kisses over you until you are lost in so much pleasure that you don’t know where you end and I begin. I want to tie you up and fuck you until there is no doubt that you are mine. I want to dress you up and take you out, and show you off, this beautiful, vibrant, brilliant woman. Everything I’ve built? All my billions? They have no value compared to you.”
Since this is the third book, you would expect the steam to be wary, but I promise that Nikki and Damien are both still on point and sizzling. All in all, I think that this book was a must read. It has different projections than similar stories, there is a different story line and it is written to form pictures in your mind of each character and every detail that their are enduring throughout the books. 
So, the flaw, well it was the ending. As I said, I was left wondering what happens next. I like it when there is a little peek at the future, as in Fifty Shades foreshadow. But, I am hoping it was done like this to have an opening for a possible next book?  

************************************


An Interview with the Author:


So How did J. Kenner come up with the premise for the story/series?

JK: I’ve been writing for Bantam for a while, and one day I was having a conversation with my editor about the rising popularity of erotic romance, and especially the billionaire hero. I had an idea for one, with a damaged billionaire and a woman who was both very strong and very damaged, and she was intrigued. At her suggestion, I wrote a TV Guide type blurb and sent it to her. She loved it and told me to dive into longer proposal. The characters were so clear in my mind that I wrote an incredibly long (I think it was 14 pages) single spaced synopsis of the entire store, with dialogue and love scene snippets!. I was in love with these characters. Fortunately, so was my editor. At first, we were thinking that it would just be one book, but we loved the characters so much, and there was so much story there, that we ended up turning it into a trilogy. It’s been a fabulous experience. I’ve loved all the books I’ve written, but sometimes things just “click” between an author and the characters, and that was how it was in the case of Nikki and Damien!
 {adapted from Randomhouse.com}

No comments:

Featured Post

How To Make Your Blog Go Viral

Blogging, Lessons on working, Stay at Home Moms by: Kel Amstutz Last year, I posted a blog post that went viral . (much to MY surp...