Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Day 25...of 30- Ask your Child's Opinion

Now and then it's good to pause
in our pursuit of happiness
and just be happy.
~Guillermo Apollinaire~

Have you ever tried on an outfit, looked in the mirror and your kiddo walks in.  You are doing the "do I look OK dance in the mirror" and you ask your kid, who is just standing there looking for some attention, "Do I look OK?"  Asking your kids their opinion show that their words matter

It is important to get on their level, even if it is NOT about what you are wearing. 


Ask your Child's Opinion

It is a part of growing up, feeling equal and knowing that what you have to say matters that will help your child develop, it will help them feel confident and also it will help them share.  I am dreading the teenage years, with two girls in this house.  I mean, it will be closed doors and loud music and I will be fighting for them to let me in.

What do I do about it?  I ask my kids questions, I ask what they think about things and I talk to them.  I try to reach them in any way I can, to build that up now, while they are young, so that we can keep that line of communication opened for the future.

I have some  great questions that I ask my kids regularly.  They are kind of conversation starters for us and are so fun to see how their answers change...daily!


I am asking my five year old:

What is your Greatest Gift?
Her answer: Her stage and Karaoke machine that she got from Santa last Christmas. 

What makes you happy?
You.  You are the best mom ever. 

What do you want to learn about this week?
Christmas Trees.  and Cars...

What kind of day are you having?
A Good day.

What is the one thing that you couldn't live without?
My Little Blankie that I sleep with.

Who is your Best Friend?
Shelby

What is your Favorite Color?
Purple...no wait..Blue... Purple and Blue

Who is your favorite Disney Character?
Elsa...nah uh... Maleficent (Yes. We just saw this movie! LOL)

What is your favorite animal?
Zebra (I am surprised by this answer!)

What is your favorite food?
Chocolate Ice Cream.



Would You Rather questions for kids - great for long car trips!Please note that we play I Spy, 20 questions and Would you Rather...regularly!

I have a Would you Rather sheet that we use to get the girls talking!

Click above for the Google docs sheet for printing!




Have fun today and talk with your kids!  Ask them what they think about at least two things today and really value their opinion!

~Kel



No comments:

Featured Post

How To Make Your Blog Go Viral

Blogging, Lessons on working, Stay at Home Moms by: Kel Amstutz Last year, I posted a blog post that went viral . (much to MY surp...