Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Channeling a Writer- Day 15

Wow, can you believe we are already 15 days into our challenge
(I might always say this because it is crazy!)


Today's WRITING CHALLENGE WORD OF THE DAY IS:

SONG

I was so nervous as I stood in front of my parents.  I needed to just spit it out. I needed to stop dwelling on the fact that Char, my baby sister, was married to my ex husband, and I did not even know.  It was at this moment that bile started to rise in my throat.  I tried to control myself, to stop this song and dance act that I was doing internally, but, it was to late.  I ran to the trash can and let the vomit rise out of my mouth. 

Mac was with me, holding my hair, rubbing my back.  When I was finished, he walked me to the stool that he had been sitting on and sat me down gently. 

"Mary Ellen, Gus, we found out that Charlotte was married." he stopped for dramatics.  I tried to look at my Parents faces, to see their shock.  Instead...all I saw was a look of aww. 
"We found a record that Charlotte married Daniel, as in Kat's Danny." He said with sternness. 

Still, their faces were not that of people who had not known.  Instead, they looked as if they might have attended the wedding itself. 

"Were you aware?" Mac said, his eyebrows rose as he made this accusation.

"Well.." stammered my Mother. "We, um, in fact did." she said as her cold, hazel eyes met my own. 

My Father would not even make eye contact with me, let alone speak.  I felt weak still, unable to hold back my lashing tongue, unable to control my sobs.  My own parents had known and not disclosed this information to me. 

"Do you know where Daniel is?" Mac asked, gently. 

"He is in New York.  We talked to him when we had been called. He did not want any drama, so he thought it was in his best interests to stay put in New York."

I could no longer hold back. "What do you mean he thought it was in his best interests to stay put?  His wife was...is  DEAD." I spat.

I was angry.  I felt like this big elephant had been in the room for so long and somehow, I was it. 

"Oh, Honey. I know how this must seem to you. You were always so sensitive, and we just..." She looked to my Father, who was still looking at the ground, offering no assistance to my stammering Mother. "We just knew that if you knew, you might resent Charlotte more than you already did." 

"Whaat...I resent Charlotte?  I was living MY life.  Apparently, I was never important enough for her to come to me, for her to reach out.  I tried a few times over the years, phone calls, letters, cards in the mail, which were returned because she moved around so much.  She never tried either, DO NOT put this on me."

"What business does Daniel have in New York."  Mac was still trying to interview, to keep the emotions out of the line of questions, thank goodness.

"Oh dear, he is building Charlotte a house.  A grand house with lots of windows, overlooking the beach.  He has been working on it diligently for over a year now.  They were only seeing each other on the weekends."

"How convenient for Daniel, the adulterer.  I am sure he did not come because Charlotte was just another pawn in his game.  For someone building someone DEAD a house, he sure did not rush to her side."

"That is ENOUGH Katherine." my Mother was upset now.  I was finally seeing emotions from her dull body. She came up out of her seat and demanded that I leave, immediately. 

"It is not as if I am even your Daughter. You keep major secrets from me, for years, apparently. NO wonder I was not welcome when Char was ever over, was not even invited. Somehow I think that was both of your doing."

Mac grabbed my arm, guiding me, gently, towards the front screen door. "Thank you Mary Ellen and Gus for your time. Thank you for answering our questions. I did have one more before we can leave, if that is OK?"  southern charm met with graciousness. 

"Sure, Mac." my Mother spoke.

"Did you know about Nathan?  What happened to him?"

My Mother looked confused.  She scratched her head, rubbed her temple. "Nathan, you say?  Well, he was a boy she had dated in high school and a little after.  Yea, maybe right before Char reunited with Danny.  I think they just went their separate ways. I think that is what Char had said." 

We left the house I had grown up in, now I was being kicked out of, no longer welcomed.  My Mother did not even look in my direction, did not even bid me farewell.  She simple Thanked Mac for his manners and slammed the wood screen door in our faces. 

I really wanted to go home...now.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The struggle is REAL.  I am ready for the weekend myself!  

How are we all doing with the challenge? 

I had to miss yesterday, which is unfortunate, but due to having a rough cold, and being given the amazing Z-Pack, which did not do a lick for me, I have managed to bruise my ribs or something and am braced up, due to the pain. AGHHH..

The only time it does not hurt is when I get comfortable and fall asleep. Unfortunately, life wont stop because I hurt...

Anyways, I hope you all have a wonderful Tuesday!

Happy Trails!

~Kel

No comments:

Featured Post

How To Make Your Blog Go Viral

Blogging, Lessons on working, Stay at Home Moms by: Kel Amstutz Last year, I posted a blog post that went viral . (much to MY surp...