Sunday, January 18, 2015

Writing Challenge- Day 13


Writing Challenge Word of the Day:


INK

They pulled up to what was left of the house.  A white outdoor dining table stood proud from the rubble that was all around it.  The stove and washing machine had been moved near the table, blacked with soot from the fully engulfed flames that had once threatened its life. 

It was unfamiliar to Kat.  It was not her home, not a place she had visited, or even known about. 

"I have so many questions that I need answers to that I feel like I am not ready to set foot on the grounds.  I need to dive into the computer and search things out, answer questions."

"I get that.  You really did not know about this place?"

I had to just look at Mac.  No words would come out of my lashing tongue.  Did he think I knew about my sister?  What was going on in his mind?  I just looked back out the window, at a place that once breathed my sister's life, and a place that had taken it too!

We drove away, not another word spoken. 

"Should we start downtown at the registers office?"

"It's like you read my mind."

"About time, right!  So, Captain tells me you were married." he hung onto the word married as he said it.

"Yea, a long time ago."

"Yea, that is what he said.  Kind of makes sense now.  And I am not going to lie, I am kind of pissed that you never told me."

"I am sorry. It was an amicable split and I haven't seen or heard from Danny since. Until now, of course."

"You talked to him?" excitement jumping from his words.

"No, no.  I wouldn't even know how to get in touch with him, it's been years, literally.  I just mean, my sister using Greer.  It's so damn odd.  But then I keep asking myself if it really is?  I mean, Char always wanted to be like me, do everything I did. Except for being a cop, she was so far from that, it kind of ended anything we ever had, relationship wise for us, as sisters. I still don't understand that one."

"So, you didn't know they were together?"

"Wait, we don't know if they were together?  Or do we?"

Mac just looked out the front window, not saying a word as he parked the car and we went up to the fifth floor. 


I asked the kind lady behind the Formica counter top for some information on Charlotte Kale.
"Are  you Charlotte?" 
"Well, no.  She is my sister and has died."

There is that look that crosses peoples face when you say this. I am uncertain if it is doubtfulness or sorrow, maybe a little of both. 

"You will need her information."

This is where my badge comes into play. Believe it or not, that little metal baby comes in handy in times like these.  It is amazing how the look changes as I flash her the metal that makes my title official. 

She scurried off to retrieve any and all information to help Mac and I.  I just flashed a crooked smile at Mac, knowing he understood the meaning and the code that was lying underneath. This is why I am a Detective.  I live it. I eat it, sleep it and am proud of it.  Not to mention, I am damn good at it.

A few minutes later we have two marriage certificates in our possession.  One is for Nathan and Charlotte, who had been married in 2008.  The other is for Danny and Charlotte, who were married last year, around this time. 

"Any divorce degrees?"

Again, the frazzled lady disappeared.  I was left with copies, information about a sister who I truly did not know. 

"Why would they have just gotten married?" Mac wanted to know.

"I have no idea.  Why would she not have told my Mom?"

The woman came back to the counter holding a piece of paper.  It was a death decree for Nathan, who had died in 2008, just four months after they had been married.  The cause of death was listed as suspicious. 

I paid the lady for the copies and thanked her for her help. 

"You must sign the log book dear."

"Of course. " I pulled my police issued blue ink roller ball pen from my pocket. 

"Must be black ink, dear." said the lady as she handed me a black ink pen. 

It was official.  My sister was married to my ex and I had no idea how I felt about it.


-----------------------------------------------------------




Today is Sunday and I have finished my writing challenge...now I am kid free and ready to sit on the couch and relax the day away!



Enjoy your Sunday all and back to the grind tomorrow!!


~KEL

No comments:

Featured Post

How To Make Your Blog Go Viral

Blogging, Lessons on working, Stay at Home Moms by: Kel Amstutz Last year, I posted a blog post that went viral . (much to MY surp...