Friday, January 23, 2015

Writing Challenge- Day 18

Challenge Word of the Day:

LIPS

I opened my eyes to a white room.  The lights were bright, the curtains were a dull khaki color and pulled tightly together to block any natural light from coming in.  I jumped with a start.  This place was unfamiliar.  It was dark and drab. It was not my home.  

I sat up carefully, slowly.  I was in a hospital bed.  The room had two maroon colored chairs and a recliner.  The TV on the wall mount was turned to World News and I could see that it was half past six.  I wasn't sure if it was day or night.  

"Kat." he jumped up from a recliner that had been tucked on the other side of the bed, next to machines that were pumping and beeping along. 

I tried to say "Mac" but my mouth was dry and the words were stuck. 

"Sh. It's OK.  Your at the Mercy Medical hospital. I am sorry. I didn't know what else to do.  You were in a coma, Kat.  You would not open your eyes or talk.  You were barely breathing." 

"Wa...it.. Wh....a...t?"  The words he said were swimming in my head. I tried to get the words to come from my lips, clear but my voice was still somewhere else.  He held up a cup with water and asked me to drink, holding the cup to my dry lips.  "I was in a coma" I was finally able to say. 

"Yes."

"For how long?"

"Kat, it's been a week."

I grabbed at my head, which was now swirling. There was a bandage a crossed my forehead. 

"You had a small operation.  It's OK Kat.  The doctors think you hit your head when you were getting ready.  There was a lot of blood, but they say there generally there is with a head wound."

"What.  I hit my head?  What the hell happened?" I demanded. Everything hurt. I ached from my head to my toes. I was trying to remember, but this just brought on more pain.

Before Mac could answer, a doctor was coming into my room.  His accent was thick, almost unreadable.  I tried to follow as he gave me a breakdown of what had happened, the procedures I had undergone and the state of my coma. 

I was told that I would have to stay overnight for monitoring.  Mac looked ragged.  I grabbed his hand, held it tight and watched a little bit of stress lift from his strong shoulders.

"Mac, thank you." I said as tears fell from my bagged eyes.

--------------------------------


I am going to keep this short.  



~Kel

No comments:

Featured Post

How To Make Your Blog Go Viral

Blogging, Lessons on working, Stay at Home Moms by: Kel Amstutz Last year, I posted a blog post that went viral . (much to MY surp...