Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Channeling a Writer - Day 8 O- H


It is a BIG deal here in Buckeye Country that I had to give some props to the boys at Ohio State!  

Where we live, they even changed the slogan for our town: 

"Oregon, Ohio: Buckeyes on the Bay, City of Duck Hunters."


Yea, it's kind of a BIG deal!!

Anyways, enough about victories!   



Today is DAY 8- that in itself if a VICTORY!  I feel like I am really challenging myself and going beyond my comfort zone with the word of the day and putting into my mystery writings!

So, without further A-DO...


Our Writing Challenge Word of the Day is:


D R U N K


Her world was crashing around her.  Her legs felt numb, weak, unable to hold her slender frame up. She felt herself sobbing but at the same time could not tell if those were her noises or from another.  It was as if the clock stopped, as if the world stopped turning...for just a moment.  Words were still not coming to her.  Shock filled her system. 

"Kat, you need to lie down." 

He was gentle.  He was holding her, caressing her shoulders, reminding her to breathe.  Mac was trying to be her rock.  He had come bursting into the room, shortly after her Parents.  The look on his face was of disbelief.  He came to her side, pushing everyone else from her, holding her, rocking her. 

"Where are my Parents?"  I said slowly, as if I were afraid they were hurt, physically from the mental pain that was surrounding our family. 
"Kat, they are here.  They are collecting themselves. This is a shock to everyone." 

"I need a pen and paper. Can I have a pen and paper, please. I need to write down something...anything.  I need to capture this moment, the moments I had at the scene.  Why was she there?  How do we know it is her?  Could there be a mistake?"

Questions were rising faster than my brain could comprehend them.  I needed to get them out. I needed to decompress.  I needed to deal.

"Slow down, baby."  He said gently as he rubbed my shoulders, holding me closer.  I could hear his heart, it's erratic beat. I could hear his shallow breaths reflecting off of my eardrum.  I could tell this was affecting him, I could see the sweat beads forming on his brow. 

It was different when you were investigating a case that was a part of your family. One that you have no idea how it is even a part of it. It is hard for you, the family member directly associated, but it is also hard for your team. I see it on their faces.  Their wonderment.  What was Katrina's sister like?  What kind of people did Kat's sister involve herself with?   I needed a bucket...and fast. I felt the bile in the back of my throat.  I reach, grabbed, just in time, the black waste basket, clean now, and filled it back up with the waste of a precious life.  WHO?  I needed to know.  It was a simple question and one that I had to find out.  This was my case.  I was worried.

My Mother was sitting in the next room. I could see her through the window blinds.  She was crying into a white tissue, her body shaking.  My Father was sitting next to her, looking out of sorts.  Emotions were not his thing. 

I needed to get out of here. "Mac, can we go get a drink. I need to take the edge off." 

The Captain looked at me, looked at Mac and raised his eyebrows, as in, GO.  The little hole in the wall, "Flaggees" was next door and was a local hang out for the Officers and Detectives, and exactly what I needed. 
"Captain, Thank you." I said between my sobs.  "Can you let my Parents know I went next door.  They will understand." 

Mac grabbed my arm and held me up, as my legs were still in a jello state.  We made it down the elevator, my barrings were still jarred, needing Mac's help for balance.  He nestled me on the seat next to him in the dim-lit bar.  Bubba, the bar tender, slide down my usual, a Cranberry and Vodka.  "Kat, I don't have words, dear." 
"I don't either and Thank You." I said as I tipped my glass to him.  He had always been an sweet, older man, one that would listen to our problems and look out for us at the same time.  A good guy, genuine, sweet.  Even in times of death. 

Mac just held me tight, not letting me go, being my rock in more ways than he knew. When I finally felt the butterflies and ease of my soul, I looked over to see a DRUNK Mac. He was still holding me, touching me, rubbing me and looking woefully into my bright green eyes.  I was taking the edge off, he was killing it completely. 
"Who do you think did this to Charlotte?"  His words a slurred mess. 
"I don't know.  I am so sad to say that I have no idea. I didn't even know she was still in Ohio, let alone Toledo."  I could not help but cry.  I had no relationship with my one and only sister.  She was two years younger than me and I had chose my career, my life over all else.  I felt pathetic. 

Mac grabbed me, whirled me off my stool, onto my weak legs and carried me out to the street.  
"I might be drunk, but I love  you.  You know that, right.  I would do anything for you, regardless of our past."  
I just shook my head.  This was not the place, nor the time for this mess.  I had to find out who did this to my baby sister and I had to do it now.

--------------------------------------------------------


I think that with Tomorrow's word, we will be unlocking some good stuff here!  Kat and Mac, Charlotte, Mom and Dad - they all have a lot of say still!

I am going to stay brief.  We are all on the mend in our house today- back to school and the regular schedule!  Hope everyone else is going good!  


What are you thinking so far of the story?  

The word of the day?  


Please be honest.  I want constructive criticism, it can only make me better.  I think that the most challenging part is remembering what I wrote the day before- since i am making sure I write each day and not in advanced.  I am trying to keep it moving, but I am feeling like I might be going a little fast. 


Right now, I want to know what is between Mac and Kat?  And what is going on with Charlotte and Kat's relationship that has made these two sisters, two years apart, so far apart? 


Give it to me straight! 



Until tomorrow!

~Kel  


GO BUCKS!!!






No comments:

Featured Post

How To Make Your Blog Go Viral

Blogging, Lessons on working, Stay at Home Moms by: Kel Amstutz Last year, I posted a blog post that went viral . (much to MY surp...