Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Day 24 of our 30 day Mom Challenge....


Do NOT interrupt your child when he/she is talking

What do we teach our children about interrupting?  We teach them that it is rude and not having good manner, right?  

In my household, we stick by a:

"do (unto) to others as you would want done to yourself", 

and for the most part, it is working.  We have stressed that if you want us to listen to you...you yourself must listen to us.  If you wish to talk and be heard, then you must do the same and when you don't we stress this factor.  Our kids are pretty good.  We do have a bit of interruption issue, but it is forgetfulness at times.  We always fall back in to this talk.


Awesome book!
We have been having some issues with our youngest and her volume. This kid is LOUD.  I am not even joking, her normal talking is like yelling to normal people.  And, that means that when she yells...it is super loud.  Her talk was about yelling at me.  "Do you want Mommy to yell at you?"  this is where i get the "pout" and a quiet (for once) "No."  It is all about getting them to understand that they control their actions and when they can't, maybe we can't control ours when they want our attention.  

Listening has always been...and still is..an issue around here.  My oldest is super stubborn (as is my youngest, we are learning) and if she doesn't want to do something...well...she isn't going to.  So, if she is walking on my 30" bar stools that swivel might I add...and we tell her NO, if she still wants to...she is going to push that button and try to make one more pass.  Well...that comes with the consequence of a time out where she gets this whole conversation iterated to her once more... I am tired of saying it, I would think that these kids would be exhausted from hearing it.  Well, when she has something VERY important to tell me..guess what... I am all of a sudden not listening...Mom had checked out!  


It is the way it has to be.  It also helps them think about the way they want to be treated and treated by others. 

But, we have been doing great lately and when they talk...we listen. I love my kids stories, tales and adventures. Hearing about them lets me know that I am doing  something right!

Try not to interrupt today and just listen.  It is like music to the ears..a child's mind! ;)

~Kel

No comments:

Featured Post

How To Make Your Blog Go Viral

Blogging, Lessons on working, Stay at Home Moms by: Kel Amstutz Last year, I posted a blog post that went viral . (much to MY surp...