Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Day 9- Mom Challenge "Picture yourself at your child's age. Remember how you felt."

Another day...Another challenge question...

Today is all about memories. I think that this goes hand in hand with what the challenge is about, as a whole.  I mean, after an intense convo with my Hubby the other night, and of all things it had to do with Parenting and Football, it all boils down to respect.  




I mean, if you want your child to respect you, should you NOT respect them?  



I don't want this to get confused with disabling your parenting skills, but when they talk, shouldn't you listen? You do, after all want them to listen when you talk, right?  Don't they learn by example?  



So our Challenge Question today is:


Picture yourself at your Child's Age.  Remember how you felt?


Me with my Mom @ age 4
If I go back to my little self in Kindergarten, and think about what I was doing and where I was, I am instantly filled with a few memories of a fun, happy environment.  I remember Kindergarten and my Teacher, Ms. Foraker, and the kids in my class. I remember my carpet square, it was blue, always had to be blue.  I remember sitting in the "circle" sharing our show 'n tell stuff. I have no recollection of what I actually brought to show n' tell though.  I remember playing, we had a lot of toys to play with in the classroom for cook, teacher, there were blocks and cars.  It was always up-beat and fun. I don't really remember learning though. I guess we were in our own way, but I don't remember having a time where we sat and learned our alphabet or such- maybe we did those things on the carpets?  But I do know that everyone was kind and we all got along- for the most part.  Although, I remember being a little rude to a boy who used to be quite bothersome.. We did not have "bullying" in those days- gosh that makes me sound ancient!

My youngest
I remember being happy about school and excited to go to school.  I remember the first day I went and being nervous, I think I might have cried when my Mom left me.  That is ironic because my child had to ride a school bus, by herself on her first day.  She had to go into her room all by herself and did not even have the opportunity to see me leave her besides when she got on that bus. (That was a nerve racking day for me and I remember feeling so emotional for just "leaving" her)

My Oldest
I know that my kiddo is strong and LOVES school.  I could not be happier by that fact!  I know that so far this year we have had our share of bullying and name calling, which had shocked me because they are only five! 

I often try to put myself in my kids shoes, to help see her perspective.  We had first week tears, as some kids did not want to play with her on the playground at recess, or an incident where another classmate was telling her to get out of the bathroom when she was in there...unfortunately, they sat at the same table in class and were excused to the bathroom break together. I wanted to cry. She was strong.  I think that so far, this has been my own battle, hearing other children be mean to my child. I guess that is why I have learned how to go about addressing the situation, be it with my kiddo or if it has escalated into an "unsafe" place, to her teacher. It is rough out here for parents!

I do, however, never forget that she is a kid and that these experiences will mold her into the person she will become. I can say that she has handled herself quiet well, better than myself and I could NOT be prouder


~Kel



No comments:

Featured Post

How To Make Your Blog Go Viral

Blogging, Lessons on working, Stay at Home Moms by: Kel Amstutz Last year, I posted a blog post that went viral . (much to MY surp...