Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Summer Reading...Who knew?

Is Reading going to be the DEATH of ME?


I'v always been inerested in taking photos then put a quote or meaning on top of it to explain the photo in more detail. #semiphoto

As many of you know, I have not been shy about wanting to get "that" Mom, the one who has so much FUN with their kids, who gets up and out, schedules things that are just too cool for school and is able to follow that darling 100 things to do in Summer lists!  

Realistically, I know I will NEVER acquire to much of this want, but baby steps, right! So, on a HOT Summer Sunday, in which it looked as if the sky were going to open up at any given moment and shower its L U N C H upon the earth- I packed up my kids and headed to the Library.  The pictures in my head were dreamy.  The excitement was all around us! 

Then reality hit!  We walked through that automatic door and found our way to the counter to get library cards. While I am busily writing names and d.o.b.'s out, my girls are busy playing with a little kids table with the beads on it that move along the lines of wire. (yes, seriously) - and fighting!  There were like 10 "tracks" to follow and these two are fighting over who gets the purple one... Ugh!


So, after twenty L O N G minutes we finally have our CARDS and head over to the kids section.  Then it was ON.

I had a 3 year old touching...touching..touching.  Seriously, any book that was upright was knocked down as she walked past. (oho!)  My 5 year old was much more into it, although she saw T O Y S and could not focus on books.  I seriously had to be that MOM that reminders her kids that we are here for books NOT toys... (eek!)

Then, it is figuring out what type of books my 5 yo is into, I mean, we read, a lot!  She likes all kinds of books, early readers, chapter books, etc.  Finally, we found one that really sparked her interest...I mean the kid would NOT put the book down.  Fiona Finkelstein, Big Time Ballerina - was the winner!  She also found some Tinker Bell comic books and was ecstatic!   

Nine-year-old Marylander Fiona Finkelstein tries to deal with stage-fright, missing her mother who is an actress in California, and hoping that her father, a television meteorologist, does not get in trouble when she antagonizes the anchorman.

Her list of books included:   Secret Fairy Homes (Tinkerbell) ; Tinkerbell to the Rescue; A present for Tinkerbell;  and Prilla's Prize.

Not bad, right!  I think we are a little obsessed with Fairies though!  (we are reading about Tinkerbell's sisters at home!)

My 3 yo's list of books included:  Teachers' Pets- which is an early reader with the Princesses; The sweetest friends (yet another Tinker bell book!); Pink Cupcake Magic (cute book) and Farmer Chuck (a Fisher Price book and a WINNER!).

We have started our summer reading program, all signed up with our Library and logging hours DAILY!   We are into Day #3 and have already logged 4 hours (way to go girls & Mom, who has to read to them!)

Finish Off the Year With Amazing Summer Reading Plans. Make into a checklist for them to take home and check off!!

We are well on our way and have logged 2 prizes under our belts!  Who knew these girls would be SO into reading!  (even after our crazy experience at the Library!)

This has even sparked my reading bug- which is great because I have been SO busy working out and finding time for that, I miss time for reading.  I have put DOWN the remote at bedtime and picked up my paperback novel in its place!  (sometimes it is the Tablet with Nook and Amazon too!)

If you have  Tablet that you are running both Nook and Amazon apps on-be sure to check out Bookbub.com (lots of books for $2.99 and UNDER) and SweetFreeBooks (lots of Freebies!) - my library is FULL - so many books to last me till I die!  (hopefully technology will not change when the Zombies appear!)

with a dreamy far off look and her nose stuck in a book.. beauty and the beast quote.. digital file

Well, let's get reading!  Don't mind my posts with our book lists.  We are reading fools in the Amstutz House!

Greetings from Gray Gables.. Summer style!

~KEL

No comments:

Featured Post

How To Make Your Blog Go Viral

Blogging, Lessons on working, Stay at Home Moms by: Kel Amstutz Last year, I posted a blog post that went viral . (much to MY surp...